Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forum of the 4-8Nation. 26353 posts and counting!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Topic #3 - Console War

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MADMike
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
MADMike

Topic #3 - Console War Empty
PostSubject: Topic #3 - Console War   Topic #3 - Console War EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 12:03 pm

WARNING: CONSOLE WAR!!!

Okay, let's go on a quick history lesson. For the most part, if you grew up in the late 80s early 90s, you probably had a Nintendo Entertainment system, and it was arguably the best system out at the time. Along came Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis battle of the early to mid 90s. Even then, most felt the clear cut winner was Nintendo, mostly on the part of their great exclusive titles and addicting games. Next came the late 90s and boy did this time frame have a hell of a market. Now of course, everyone who grew up in that time, owned the Nintendo 64, which is arguably the best console, maybe even in history. Many companies tried to topple the giant that was known as Nintendo with other consoles such as the Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, and etc. Although many of them began to sink into the abyss with bad gimmicks brought in or just lack of games, they tried all they could to stay alive. At the time, surprisingly, PlayStation was born but was very, very underrated.

As the others died down, PlayStation began growing in popularity because, much like Nintendo, they produced their own exclusive games, which of course, brought the birth of so many games that people still enjoy to this day such as Gran Turismo, Tekken, Twisted Metal and so on. At the same time, Nintendo continued with great success bringing hits such as Super Smash Bros., StarFox, The Legend of Zelda, etc. Both of these companies would grow into icons going into the 2000s where they both planned to release their successor.

Once the 2000s hit, PlayStation 2 was released and quickly grew in popularity even more. Soon after, both the newcomer Xbox and reigning champion Nintendo GameCube was released in the same week as each other. GameCube continued showing its dominance having sold more consoles than the others, of course the lower price helped, and the reliability it had didn't make buyers stray away either. As the years went by, PlayStation brought out the hits and began showing how it can also be called the greatest system known at the time by continuing to bring their own exclusive games and bringing some good competition for the other companies. Xbox, in all honesty, didn't have too many games to work with, but thrived with their hit franchise game, Halo. Halo 2 sold the most for that console, and was good enough to keep Xbox afloat in this growing competition.

Let's move on to the current generation.

Topic #3 - Console War Ps3grill_2006-11-21

Now most of the following will feature some opinion being that this war continues to this day. Now, in late 2005, the Xbox 360 was released, and some will agree, was released and rushed out a little too early. You don't have to ask why, everyone knows about the flaw that was the Red Ring of Death. Of course, many stayed with the Xbox through the good and bad, mostly because of Halo and new promising games that would soon come. A year later, both the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii was released. The most notable thing here is the fact that the Wii chose to go with motion controlling and the gimmick severely injured it's prestige in many people's minds and also hurt chances of many old school gamers to get the console being that it was beginning to get nearly one dimensional and also had a somewhat flawed function.

At this point, the only people who chose to get a Wii, were people who wanted it for exclusives, which continued to adapt, but nothing stood out as much as they have in the past. These days the Xbox and PlayStation 3 continue to wage war for supremacy. As of late, the PlayStation 3 not only has been bringing out newer exclusives and continue old ones, but also have slowly been getting a hold of many of Microsoft's exclusive games such as Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, Dead Rising 2. Not to rain on their parade, they still have games such as Gears of War, Fable and Left 4 Dead that the PS3 currently have no control on. Given the fact that Bungie was bought by Activision, this may mean that Halo: Reach is the final Halo project done for Xbox. This will have to be something to wait and see for, but being perfectly honest and as unbiased as I can be, Xbox is slowly losing it's momentum from the gaming side.

To quickly go over the console itself, being that I have used both at one point or another, I find that the PS3 has a much easier to use and faster way of getting to the things you need using the Cross Media Bar (XMB). Now, I haven't seen the latest dashboard, but I do know some things would just take some time to get to being that certain things took about 5-10 seconds to load up. This could just be because they try to add more visuals to it all, but sometimes, it gets really annoying. On the online side of gaming many will agree that the Xbox has a much better overall profile to it and makes online gaming easier and simple. To counter that, the PS3 uses the advantages of Blu-Ray and dual layered discs to provide great HD movie performance and visuals, along with the dual layered discs allowing players to play games such as Metal Gear Solid 4 with only one disc and not needing to switch.

Topic #3 - Console War Xbox-360-tissue-mod

In my own honest opinion in all this. as of the now, I see a sleight advantage leaning towards the PlayStation 3, with the Xbox very, very close behind and Wii at the end. I will not say PS3 is better and not say there is a definite winner. It is all based on opinions and whatever suits you best. Some enjoy the Xbox and its exclusives, online gaming, and overall feel, others enjoy the same with the PlayStation 3. It's all about the consumer, if you get the opinion of someone who plays on one or the other, they will give you their opinion because they made up their own mind. At this point, there is no winner as their was when the Nintendo reigned and others failed. Right now, there are 3 global teams and they all look to grab onto that championship and hold on to it.

I tried to give the most unbiased opinion I could give and tried to break it down as much I could. Take it as what you will. As Kevin Butler once said, we all hail to one master, gaming. Forever may he reign.

king

Last edited by MADMike on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/death7unites7us
death_unites_us
The Founder of 4-8
The Founder of 4-8
death_unites_us

PostSubject: Re: Topic #3 - Console War   Topic #3 - Console War EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Excellently done Mike.

It's important to note also that a big portion of the fight was money. Players who just wanted to play the new games fast leaned towards the Xbox because it was cheaper, players that wanted a more permanent buy leaned towards the Playstation with it's better reliability (which seemed more so back then but not so much now) and free online play. Others who wanted a cheap family system went for the Wii.

In my honest opinion I believe the biggest factor to the entire war was the original games. Did you want the newest games that everybody was playing or did you want to wait for some great sequels to the games you know and love? Most people wanted the newest games, so they could play with their friends, and that's why Xbox live got so popular. Meanwhile Sony fans sat back and waited for Tekken 6, Final Fantasy XIII (which jokingly went to Xbox), Metal Gear Solid 4, ect. People who stayed with Playstation stayed because they had a huge Playstation 2 library and loved the promise of their sequels. Meanwhile people just entering the gaming world jumped to the Xbox because it was the most popular at the time.
Back to top Go down
Xo0OJOEYO0oX
"Panda"
Topic #3 - Console War Default6

PostSubject: Re: Topic #3 - Console War   Topic #3 - Console War EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 5:32 pm

psOne was my 1st consol so *censored* the red circle of overheating death
Back to top Go down
http://gifura.orzhk.org/src/1332235315120.swf
Blink
4-8Member
4-8Member

PostSubject: Re: Topic #3 - Console War   Topic #3 - Console War EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 pm

The main reason why many people stuck with Sony was because they were "loyal" to the company. Now they weren't actually loyal to them to the point where they treat Sony like a god, they just grew up with Playstation. They grew up having patience for the new Final Fantasy or Ratchet and Clank. I believe that Sony has a more mature population mainly because the people who grew up with the Playstation are now at least 15 years old and are as old as 40. I guess the Sony guys, including me, are the "older generation" of gamers.

Now lets move on to the "newer generation" of gamers: the 10 - 14 year olds who most likely have an Xbox 360. Now I am not saying that the Xbox 360 population consists of annoying kids, I'm just saying that many annoying kids have an Xbox 360 from what I have seen.

In the current gaming market right now, the Xbox 360 has a slight advantage over the Playstation 3. The "newer generation" of gamers are very demanding and this is a good thing because Microsoft supplies what is demanded. This "demand and supply" thing works very well. Let me explain: Microsoft keeps up with what is demanded and what is demanded right now is shooting games. So what does Microsoft do? They get a whole mess of shooting games. This ties straight to what Death said about the Xbox 360 games.
Quote :
Players who just wanted to play the new games fast leaned towards the Xbox because it was cheaper, players that wanted a more permanent buy leaned towards the Playstation with it's better reliability
Now as you can all see, this "suppy and demand" thing is excellent. I said earlier that the Xbox 360 has a slight advantage over the Playstation 3, but only slightly because I can guarantee that the PS3 will either catch up or pass the Xbox 360 within a year because of console-selling titles such as Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy 14, and Killzone 3. Sadly, Playstation Move has been a fail(for now).

Now lets talk about how Sony does things. They do things similarly but to some extent. Sony wants quality over quantity. This concept doesn't work so well anymore because right now, customers are demanding quantity. This is the main reason why most people lean towards the Xbox 360 nowadays. So why is Sony not changing the ways they do things you may ask? As I've stated before, Sony has loyal customers. These customers all have a reason why they are sticking with Sony. My reason: I am waiting for Gran Turismo 5, Kingdom Hearts 3(PLZ!!), and Final Fantasy Versus 13. Notice how I am waiting for 3 games, two of which will probably come out in 2015. So why wait when I can just play an Xbox game? I am loyal to Sony.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now, I like Sony because I grew up with Playstation(and Nintendo) my entire life. This doesn't mean that I hate Microsoft and the Xbox. I also like the Xbox 360 for many reasons. Xbox Live has so many features that I dream to have on the Playstation 3. If you guys think that paying $50 a year for Xbox Live is stupid and PSN is free and is just as good, SLAP YOURSELF. How stupid are you guys to think that PSN is just as good as XBL? It isn't. Let me do the math for you: XBL is 14 cents a day(13.69 to be exact). I can find 14 cents on the floor. I want you guys to name ONE positive thing about PSN that XBL does not have. I said positive thing so Playstation Home won't cut it. If you guys do find one positive thing about it, it still won't make PSn just as good or better because there are way more reasons why XBL is better than PSN.

------------------------------------------------------

Now, I do not want to get into too much detail because the one guy that actually read my post up to hear is probably half asleep by now. I will end it here. But since I like Sony, SONY FTW B1TCHES!!!!!!!!!!

There shouldn't be a console war because both consoles are excellent. So shut the fuq up little 10-year olds and go eat some fuqing cookies that your grandma baked with an easy-bake oven from Toys R' Us.

Back to top Go down
death_unites_us
The Founder of 4-8
The Founder of 4-8
death_unites_us

PostSubject: Re: Topic #3 - Console War   Topic #3 - Console War EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 3:28 am

Very well said Blink Wink

Blink wrote:
customers are demanding quantity.

This I would like to argue, though. When the PS3 and Xbox first came out, yes, quantity was a bigger issue because we as gamers thought we should by the system that in the long run would have more lasting titles.

However now I believe that the "quantity" race is just about over, and that game developers are more focused on making amazing games rather than a bunch of okay games.

Of course, all of them but IW Treyarch and Bungie, who decide why make a good game when they can make a shinier old game and make their same revenue all over again.
Back to top Go down
Bloodharbringer
You will make this my new veteran comment
You will make this my new veteran comment
Bloodharbringer

PostSubject: Re: Topic #3 - Console War   Topic #3 - Console War EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:01 am

Blink wrote:
The main reason why many people stuck with Sony was because they were "loyal" to the company. Now they weren't actually loyal to them to the point where they treat Sony like a god, they just grew up with Playstation. They grew up having patience for the new Final Fantasy or Ratchet and Clank. I believe that Sony has a more mature population mainly because the people who grew up with the Playstation are now at least 15 years old and are as old as 40. I guess the Sony guys, including me, are the "older generation" of gamers.

Now lets move on to the "newer generation" of gamers: the 10 - 14 year olds who most likely have an Xbox 360. Now I am not saying that the Xbox 360 population consists of annoying kids, I'm just saying that many annoying kids have an Xbox 360 from what I have seen.

In the current gaming market right now, the Xbox 360 has a slight advantage over the Playstation 3. The "newer generation" of gamers are very demanding and this is a good thing because Microsoft supplies what is demanded. This "demand and supply" thing works very well. Let me explain: Microsoft keeps up with what is demanded and what is demanded right now is shooting games. So what does Microsoft do? They get a whole mess of shooting games. This ties straight to what Death said about the Xbox 360 games.
Quote :
Players who just wanted to play the new games fast leaned towards the Xbox because it was cheaper, players that wanted a more permanent buy leaned towards the Playstation with it's better reliability
Now as you can all see, this "suppy and demand" thing is excellent. I said earlier that the Xbox 360 has a slight advantage over the Playstation 3, but only slightly because I can guarantee that the PS3 will either catch up or pass the Xbox 360 within a year because of console-selling titles such as Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy 14, and Killzone 3. Sadly, Playstation Move has been a fail(for now).

Now lets talk about how Sony does things. They do things similarly but to some extent. Sony wants quality over quantity. This concept doesn't work so well anymore because right now, customers are demanding quantity. This is the main reason why most people lean towards the Xbox 360 nowadays. So why is Sony not changing the ways they do things you may ask? As I've stated before, Sony has loyal customers. These customers all have a reason why they are sticking with Sony. My reason: I am waiting for Gran Turismo 5, Kingdom Hearts 3(PLZ!!), and Final Fantasy Versus 13. Notice how I am waiting for 3 games, two of which will probably come out in 2015. So why wait when I can just play an Xbox game? I am loyal to Sony.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now, I like Sony because I grew up with Playstation(and Nintendo) my entire life. This doesn't mean that I hate Microsoft and the Xbox. I also like the Xbox 360 for many reasons. Xbox Live has so many features that I dream to have on the Playstation 3. If you guys think that paying $50 a year for Xbox Live is stupid and PSN is free and is just as good, SLAP YOURSELF. How stupid are you guys to think that PSN is just as good as XBL? It isn't. Let me do the math for you: XBL is 14 cents a day(13.69 to be exact). I can find 14 cents on the floor. I want you guys to name ONE positive thing about PSN that XBL does not have. I said positive thing so Playstation Home won't cut it. If you guys do find one positive thing about it, it still won't make PSn just as good or better because there are way more reasons why XBL is better than PSN.

------------------------------------------------------

Now, I do not want to get into too much detail because the one guy that actually read my post up to hear is probably half asleep by now. I will end it here. But since I like Sony, SONY FTW B1TCHES!!!!!!!!!!

There shouldn't be a console war because both consoles are excellent. So shut the fuq up little 10-year olds and go eat some fuqing cookies that your grandma baked with an easy-bake oven from Toys R' Us.

oh my f*ck, oh my god, oh sh*t, oh god f*ck hell no sh*t hell, f*cking f*ck, what no, hell f*ck, damn F*ck hell.

overkill.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Topic #3 - Console War   Topic #3 - Console War Empty

Back to top Go down

Topic #3 - Console War
Page 1 of 1