The official forum of the 4-8Nation. 26342 posts and counting!
 
HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
death_unites_us
The Founder of 4-8
The Founder of 4-8


Posts : 4217
Join date : 2009-06-13
Age : 24
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 pm

I say total ripoff. What we have here are game companies trying to make even more off of their game than what should be allowed. I remember back in the day when we found out PS3 games were going to be $60 a piece, and we were dying for relief. I used to read articles in PSM that asked if the rumors were true, and if they were there were so many people willing to stick with the PS2 until prices lowered. However, here we are, 6 years later, and every new game is still $60. (funny side note, just checked, Playstation 3's birthday was yesterday, lololol)

But now, we have game companies trying to make even more money off of the best fans of their games by giving them exclusive items in "special editions" and "collectors editions" and "ultimate collector limited editions." Some of these items are rather cool, but most of them, when the hype of the game and the fan appeal are taken away, are pieces of junk. Although it's cool for the time being to have stuff that your friends don't, are you really going to look back at your friends when Borderlands 3 comes out and say "Oh yeah? Well I got an exclusive map of borderlands 2!" Probably not.

Borderlands isn't my only example. Take the new Bioshock Premium and Ultimate Songbird Editions, which is the main reason I'm making this post. In the Premium Edition, you get:
- A 64-page mini edition of Dark Horse Comics' The Art of BioShock Infinite
- Digital soundtrack
- DLC: Three exclusive Gear power-ups: Bull Rush (makes sprinting melee strikes more effective), Extra! Extra! (audio logs grant extra in-game money), and Betrayer (possessed enemies that you kill explode in a deadly fireball)
- Console Exclusives: Xbox 360 users get Booker and Elizabeth avatar costumes. PC and PS3 players get BioShock Infinite themes
- A 5" x 7" Lithograph print of Columbia propoganda
- Handyman Figurine: A 25mm resin-cast figurine for use in the BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia board game
- Murder of Crows 3" Keychain
- A copy of the game

All of this for $20 extra bucks. Now, down the road, somebody would pay $10 for a Bioshock keychain, especially if it was exclusive, $15-$20 for a soundtrack, and DLC can range in prices. The rest of the stuff is cool, but relatively worthless. However, this bundle is well worth the $20 extra dollars, especially for a die hard fan. I purchased this edition.

Then there's the Ultimate Songbird Edition. In this edition, you will get:
-The same stuff you get in the Premium Edition
-A bird

Granted, the bird is pretty cool. Here's a picture:


It's cool, yes. It was handcrafted, which makes it even more awesome. However, the word "handcrafted" gives you the impression that it is worth the amount of money. But that's like if I gave you a necklace made out of paperclips, and told you it was handcrafted. It may make the piece irreplaceable, but it doesn't make it valuable. A few months down the road and this bird will be worth nothing, so all we have to go on is the sentimental value of owning it. Now, tell me, is the sentimental value of having this thing sit in your room worth $70? I didn't think so.

That's right, the Ultimate Songbird Edition is $150. When I look at the entire package, it looks like it could possibly be close to being worth that much, but when you realize you are paying $70 for the bird statue, it makes me want to vomit. What's worse is that they will surely sell plenty off them, feeding off hardcore fans who want to say they own it. Well, forget that, I'd rather own another brand new game and donate $10 to my back pocket.

Thoughts?

_________________
~4getthe h8rs~
And then, we'll soar. It doesn't matter what you've done, what I've done, what has happened and what is about to happen. I know, it hurts. But the truth is, I don't care anymore. I don't care because I have something far more important to care about now. I have you, and you are everything I'll ever need and ever wanted. So, we'll leave that all behind, we'll make our own destiny, together, and then, we'll soar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/death7unites7us
Rafix
4-8Fan
4-8Fan


Posts : 1584
Join date : 2012-01-04
Age : 20
Location : Oklahoma

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:16 am

This is actually a really good topic. When you really think about it, though, it's not like the company is holding you at gun point, telling you to buy it or die. I still agree, it's pretty much a rip off, which is why I don't buy them. Well, except for MW2's... That one was pretty cool, plus I still have the NVG's today and they still run, so I guess it's worth it in a way, especially if you just happen to have it lying around and you go to this really bad ass airsoft arena with indoor crap and... well... anyways, back to the topic at hand.

It seems that now more than ever, the "special editions" and "super ultra awesome chocolatey covered mega edition" are filled more with not-as-cool things, or at least they are in my opinion, like statues, and whatnot, though I will say the special edition for Catherine sounds friggin' amazing, like, seriously, but the special editions a few years ago were much more worth it. (I'ma put a break here, this sentence is running for far too long.)

For example; the Fallout 3 Collectors Edition was an extra 10 bucks, considering you bought it on PC, but an extra 20 if you got it on console, it came with:

- A Vault Boy bobblehead (Which would totally be worth it imo, my uncle has it, I'm jelly.)
- The Art of Fallout 3, a 100 page book with concept art and commentary by Bethesda Game Studio artists
- The Making of Fallout 3, DVD
- A metal Vault-Tec Lunchbox

For an extra 50 bucks, however, you could get a PIP-Boy 3000 that functioned as a digital watch.

I'm slowly running out of good ideas, but another one I can think of, and I would totally dish the cash out for, would be the inFAMOUS 2 Hero Edition.

In said edition was:

- 8.5" statue of Cole (kinda lame looking)
- Cole's sling pack, actually wearable and totally bad ass (pic at bottom of list)
- The First Edition of the inFAMOUS DC Comic Book
- 2 new powers; Electrocution Shock; and Lightning Hook
- Two new in-game skins; Kessler skin; and a Reaper skin
- Four Amp variants; Gold Amp; Sly's Cane; Caveman's Club; and a Samurai Sword
- inFAMOUS 2 Soundtrack, with songs not available elsewhere

inFAMOUS 2: Hero Edition


Well, that's all I've got for now. We should do this more often, it's actually really fun...


Also, I don't wanna jump the gun on this, but I think this is the longest post I've made, though I know for a fact that I've said that before at least more than once.
Back to top Go down
death_unites_us
The Founder of 4-8
The Founder of 4-8


Posts : 4217
Join date : 2009-06-13
Age : 24
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:43 am

Rafix wrote:
This is actually a really good topic. When you really think about it, though, it's not like the company is holding you at gun point, telling you to buy it or die.

Good point, in the end it is up to us. But, I can't help but think that gamers are conned into buying the stuff because they want to be "true fans" when in reality the money could be better spent.

_________________
~4getthe h8rs~
And then, we'll soar. It doesn't matter what you've done, what I've done, what has happened and what is about to happen. I know, it hurts. But the truth is, I don't care anymore. I don't care because I have something far more important to care about now. I have you, and you are everything I'll ever need and ever wanted. So, we'll leave that all behind, we'll make our own destiny, together, and then, we'll soar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/death7unites7us
Rafix
4-8Fan
4-8Fan


Posts : 1584
Join date : 2012-01-04
Age : 20
Location : Oklahoma

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 pm

death_unites_us wrote:
Rafix wrote:
This is actually a really good topic. When you really think about it, though, it's not like the company is holding you at gun point, telling you to buy it or die.

Good point, in the end it is up to us. But, I can't help but think that gamers are conned into buying the stuff because they want to be "true fans" when in reality the money could be better spent.

I agree completely
Back to top Go down
death_unites_us
The Founder of 4-8
The Founder of 4-8


Posts : 4217
Join date : 2009-06-13
Age : 24
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-Anniversary-Collectors-Playstation-3/dp/B0085O6XF4

At first i was like, $150 for this? Street Fighter stuff is always on sale on the store.

But then I realized that this include 4 games, and all of their DLC. So, this seems pretty legit.

But then I thought, if you're such a street fighter fan that you would buy this, wouldn't you already have most of these games? I mean it's not like Bioshock where this stuff is coming out with a new game, these are all old games!

Just...fail.

_________________
~4getthe h8rs~
And then, we'll soar. It doesn't matter what you've done, what I've done, what has happened and what is about to happen. I know, it hurts. But the truth is, I don't care anymore. I don't care because I have something far more important to care about now. I have you, and you are everything I'll ever need and ever wanted. So, we'll leave that all behind, we'll make our own destiny, together, and then, we'll soar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/death7unites7us
Rafix
4-8Fan
4-8Fan


Posts : 1584
Join date : 2012-01-04
Age : 20
Location : Oklahoma

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:00 pm

You'd be surprised, the crazy rich fans will still buy it.

Also, you could say the same for any pack that has all of the products a failure in that case. I think it's be more for the people who have played the games, but never bought them. In which case, this is a good deal.
Back to top Go down
death_unites_us
The Founder of 4-8
The Founder of 4-8


Posts : 4217
Join date : 2009-06-13
Age : 24
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Rafix wrote:
You'd be surprised, the crazy rich fans will still buy it.

Also, you could say the same for any pack that has all of the products a failure in that case. I think it's be more for the people who have played the games, but never bought them. In which case, this is a good deal.

Good point. But I disagree with what you said before, about how rich fans may still buy it. I mean, if you already own the games, are you really going to spend $150 on a statue and a book? I mean that's one thing I liked about the Bioshock pack and the Borderlands 2 pack, they had all sorts of cheap little goodies that came along but didn't drive up the price.

_________________
~4getthe h8rs~
And then, we'll soar. It doesn't matter what you've done, what I've done, what has happened and what is about to happen. I know, it hurts. But the truth is, I don't care anymore. I don't care because I have something far more important to care about now. I have you, and you are everything I'll ever need and ever wanted. So, we'll leave that all behind, we'll make our own destiny, together, and then, we'll soar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/death7unites7us
Rafix
4-8Fan
4-8Fan


Posts : 1584
Join date : 2012-01-04
Age : 20
Location : Oklahoma

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:06 am

death_unites_us wrote:
Rafix wrote:
You'd be surprised, the crazy rich fans will still buy it.

Also, you could say the same for any pack that has all of the products a failure in that case. I think it's be more for the people who have played the games, but never bought them. In which case, this is a good deal.

Good point. But I disagree with what you said before, about how rich fans may still buy it. I mean, if you already own the games, are you really going to spend $150 on a statue and a book? I mean that's one thing I liked about the Bioshock pack and the Borderlands 2 pack, they had all sorts of cheap little goodies that came along but didn't drive up the price.

Its just something I've noticed is all. If someones got money to spare, then they'll spend it. Still, it depends on the person. Or they could just buy the statue and whatever else on ebay or somethin later on
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?   Today at 5:30 am

Back to top Go down
 
Video Game Special Editions - Good Value, or Total Ripoff?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Top 10: Best Plot Twists In Video Game History Part 1 (Spoilers Beware)!
» The Video Game Character Alphabet
» Feature: A Video Game Discussion: The New Trend "Vintage" Games At Gamestop And The Sky High Prices.
» Who is your favorite video game character?
» One on One Interview: Javier Otaegui's Take On The Video Game Industry!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: 4-8General :: General Chat-
Jump to: